Friday 18 October 2013

Review: bareMinerals - Ready SPF 20 Foundation in Medium Beige





I've been using bareMinerals for years now and I've always loved the weightless but flawless feel of it and, of course, minerals are meant to be good for your skin. I've used both of the loose powders: Original and Matte. However, loose powder isn't the easiest thing to carry around and use on the go, so I was very pleased when I heard they were releasing a compact version of it called Ready SPF 20 Foundation.

I've actually had this for a while now but I've only just got round to using it. I love how cute and compact it looks, it even has a mirror inside the case. This is definitely a lot more practical to be carrying around than the loose powder. The outside of the case is pretty simple but it looks sleek.

In terms of colour, the shade seems to differ from that of the loose powder form. The Ready Foundation in Medium Beige is darker and has more of a golden tone to it, whereas the loose powder foundation for both Original and Matte is much lighter. Surprisingly, both forms actually work fine for me but I guess that is the beauty of minerals - they blend really well so you can get away with a shade that isn't an exact match. This one is definitely more suited to me though.

The texture isn't as fine as the loose mineral powder so if you are prone to dry skin, make sure you moisturise your face first and/or apply a primer to get a smooth base. Otherwise you may find that the powder settles in all the wrong places. 

After watching a few Youtube tutorials of this, I was under the impression that you needed to take one swipe of the foundation using a brush. Do not do this. You end up getting so much excess powder coming up and there's not exactly anywhere for it to go since it's in a compact case and not a pot. It will just cause a mess. The correct way to use this foundation, as I read on the instruction leaflet (which I should have done in the first place rather than going off Youtube tutorials) is to just tap your brush on the foundation and then buff it into your skin. 

I absolutely love this product. It's so much easier to use and you don't end up wasting loads of it since you don't have to swirl it around in a lid. I was worried about how it would apply on because it's not as fine as the loose powder but it goes on so smoothly for me. It gives a really pretty finish.

I've been blessed with good skin (or maybe I just have a good skincare regime!) so I can't comment too much about the coverage since I don't have any major blemishes to cover up but it definitely gives a "natural skin" finish. Similar to many mineral products though, the coverage is unlikely to be as good as what you would get with a liquid foundation.

I use the Real Techniques powder brush with this product (review coming up soon) and it works brilliantly. No need for a kabuki brush anymore.

I definitely recommend this product to you all. I don't wear foundation every day but when I do, this is my go-to product. My loose mineral powders have well and truly taken a back seat. This is actually cheaper than both the Original and Matte loose powders as you get more for the price you pay.

Have you used any of the bareMinerals foundations?

19 comments:

  1. I haven't used Bare Minerals for such a long time, for some reason I just keep forgetting about them as a brand, but this sounds like a great product so might put it on the list of things to try :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a new powder foundation for the winter just to lightly dust on my face after moisturizer. Thanks for the recommendation! I love Bare Minerals products :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely, I always get a pressed powder as I hate the loose ones, so messy!

    abi from a little dust

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I used the loose powder and really liked it. I may try this powder next.

    Your new follower!

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog!

    Great review, the powder sounds great!

    Do you wanna follow each other on bloglovin?

    Greetings from London,

    chrissabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been interested in trying out this product. This review really helps. I think I'll try it out now! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review and I would like to try this as I love the original loose foundations so much!!! Thanks for your visit on my blog earlier also and I wish you a great weekend!
    Now following and hope you will stop back soon!

    xx Easy Outfits, by Pip

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds and looks really lovely, although I know it wouldn't work well for my dry skin unfortunately :( xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love BareMinerals! Such a great brand!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've started following you on GFC & BlogLovin' and I hope you can return the favor!

    The Cassie Paige

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually never tried BareMinerals but after your review I definitely gonna order some stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't used any of this brand but would try it!

    xo Melane
    Anxiety | Depression | Panic Attacks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried any Bare Minerals products but I really want to!

    Jordan-Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great review, thank you for sharing!

    The Penny Rose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this review, I have the powder version and was interested in this one to carry with me during the day. I may give it a chance :)

    (¯`·._.·Nymphashion·._.·´¯)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really interested to try this, as I have never tried any bareminerals products before. Glad you liked it, great review! :)
    Carrie xx

    Carrie:Brighton

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never used any of their foundations, I usually just stick to my Benefit, but I am coming to the end of my current box, so may check these out.

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my go-to foundation at the moment! Great pics.

    Love Zoe x
    www.facevaluebeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds great! I am desperately looking for a new foundation, will have to give it a try!
    xoxo
    Kate

    kateberlinsays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.