Sunday 5 January 2014

Review: Ko:kou Ionic Vegas Hair Straighteners






It's been a while since I've used hair straighteners. As a young(er) girl, I used to always straighten my hair before school until one day, it suddenly occured to me that my hair was naturally quite straight anyway. Nevertheless, I did still straighten my hair every now and then just to get that extra bit of shine and tame any hints of frizz.

One thing that I've always loved about hair straighteners is that you can use them to curl your hair. My hair is quite thick so standard curling tongs don't work that well. I know you can get curling wands nowadays but I think I'm still a little scared to use them! With hair straighteners, I use the trick of clamping my hair, and then twisting the straighteners as I move down the section of hair. 

So the other week, I decided to have a little play around with the Ko:kou Ionic Vegas Hair Straighteners* which the company had kindly sent me recently. This product is part of a wider range of hair styling tools available from Ko:kou, a new brand for salon professional hair. 

It arrived in a sleek yellow box, which I have kept so that I can store the straighteners once they've cooled down and are not in use. One of the things that I quite liked when I first opened up the box was that the straighteners have curved barrels. I knew straight away that this would make it a lot easier for me to curl my hair. 

I began, though, by straightening my hair first. I was a little disappointed to see that there was no temperature adjuster, nor was there any light to tell me when they had heated up sufficiently. However, this did heat up very quickly and I started using it after about 20 seconds. 

As you can see from my images, my straightened hair doesn't look that much different from my natural hair, which is already quite straight! I felt that it did give it a little extra shine though, and it got rid of any wispy bits (which I then created myself when I was moving my arms about trying to take photos!). The Ionic Technology is supposedly the magic that creates the shine. There are also floating ceramic plates, allowing you to evenly distribute the heat over your hair.

I also tested this product out by curling my hair. It took quite a bit of practice...... I ended up doing half a head full of really bad curls, some of them weren't even curls... So once I'd finally mastered it, i thought I'd do one good curl on the other side of my head. One good curl is better than a dozen bad ones! The straighteners didn't glide as well as I hoped they would but the curled barrels made it a lot easier to get the smooth, rounded curl effect that I've always wanted. The curls do come out quite frizzy but it's nothing that a bit of serum can't fix. 

The Ko:kou Ionic Vegas Straighteners retail on the website for £24.99, which is quite an affordable price, especially if you just want a basic pair of straighteners to quickly whizz through your hair in the morning. Of course, you can use this for curling your hair too!

Do you use hair straighteners?
Do you curl your hair with them?

25 comments:

  1. Your hair looks gorgeous with those curls! I have naturally curly hair but I use straighteners on my fringe and the ends of my hair. I really suck at curling with them though
    xxxx

    www.salted-roses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it takes a bit of practice to curl your hair using straighteners! :)

      Delete
  2. your natural hair is so nice!
    £24.99 is pretty good for hair straighteners, defo for those results, but I just can't see anything beating my GHD's ;) xxx

    LauraThinksAbout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I've never used GHDs before but they seem to be THE ultimate brand when it comes to hair straighteners. :)

      Delete
  3. That is a nice price for hair straighteners. I do agree that straighteners can be curlers as well - so a good investment. However, I like straight hair the best :O)
    Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog -Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Chic Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. They create such beautiful curls! :)
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use hair straighteners but never really mastered curling my hair with them - and now my hair is too short to curl like this anyway! But your curls look really great :) I'm another GHD addict though - they were a Christmas present a few years ago and haven't let me down yet! But this brand seems pretty great :)
    Keep in touch! Glad to be following you now :)
    Andrea
    www.lanouvellenoire.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks so great naturally, jealous! I wish I could curl my hair with a straightener like you can, it would make traveling easier. But I have to have my curling wand!

    katiechamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! I'm hoping to try out curling wands at some stage. :)

      Delete
  7. I use straighteners once in a while. But I don't curl them. Your hair looks super gorg!

    Zoe
    http://thatszoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have this hair straightener

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love curling my hair with straighteners, sometimes it's actually 10x better than curling tongs. More loose and natural looking x

    Essence of Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are lucky because your hair is beautiful by nature... you don't have to use anything.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do sometimes wish my hair was curly though! :)

      Delete
  11. I absolutely adore curly hair, but i never manage to curl my hair with straightener, but you did the great job.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hair looks super straight without straighteners!! I find that if I don't bother people hardly notice as mine doesn't go frizzy or anything. I love how you got the curls with this product as well (I am rubbish at curling my hair lol).

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really bad at curling my hair too haha, takes me forever just to get one good curl! :)

      Delete
  13. you have gorge hair with and without the straightener! =)
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks great :) nice

    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4602025

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's look very nice, I love curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love curling my hair!! Your hair is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!!! I've been using my nearly-decade old CHI straightener and it cost me $120 at the time of purchase. This seems to be equally as good and about half the price? Your curls look really good ^//-//^

    chocokittiehk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.