Thursday 27 February 2014

Iced Cookies

I was recently introduced to a baking brand called Sugar And Crumbs who sell a range of icing powder, cocoa powder, and sugar paste. They kindly sent me 3 of their products to test out.



All 3 products were sent to me in this delightful canvas bag which I will no doubt be using for carrying all the grocery shopping. Each product comes in a bag with a seal, perfect for keeping everything fresh. I received the Coffee Icing Sugar*, Salted Caramel Icing Sugar*, and Chocolate Cherry Cocoa Powder*. 

I normally make buttercream icing but I decided that it was time for a change. I've been baking so much recently that I just didn't want anything too rich in taste so I figured that water icing would be perfect, especially spread across a fresh batch of cookies!



These don't look like the most amazing cookies but they sure taste good! There are some really good cookie recipes on BBC Food or you can do a quick Google search. I usually tweak my recipes a bit as I find that most of them are too sugary.

For the water icing, it's just a case of adding tiny drops of water to the icing sugar until it reaches your desired consistency. If you haven't made water icing before, please bear in mind that a little water goes a very long way.



I no longer drink coffee for various reasons so it was nice to have some Coffee Icing*. It gives off a very natural coffee aroma and I'm confident that any coffee lovers will love this. I was surprised at how natural it tasted too, it was like I'd added actual coffee powder into my cookies. 

The Salted Caramel Icing Sugar* was the one that I wasn't too sure about when I first saw the packet. I love salted caramel cookies but I was worried that this would be too salty. When I tried a bit of the icing powder on it's own, I could taste the saltiness. Having turned it into water icing, it became a lot more subtle and just the way I like it. I absolutely love the taste of the salted caramel water icing and it's one that I'll definitely be incorporating into my future bakes. 

As for the Chocolate Cherry Cocoa Powder*, I haven't included this on here as I just didn't get on with the taste at all. I made some cupcakes with it but the taste was far too strong and distinct for my liking. Having said that, I'm not a fan of chocolate cake in general (I have a bit of a love hate relationship with chocolate) so don't let that put you off trying it. My cousin decided to do some baking with it and she really liked it so it's just personal preference really.

If you love baking (and love icing), there is so much to choose from at Sugar & Crumbs and I can't wait to try out some more flavours.

Do you have a favourite icing flavour?

10 comments:

  1. I don't like icing, is too sweet for me xD... Don't kill me
    But those cookies look so delicious **

    Ines Loves
    Have a lovely day! <3
    XOXO
    IT *

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I love salted caramel! This sounds great :-)

    Hannah x | lovelettersandsnippets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look adorable! Water icing used to be such a pain for me when I first started baking. You are so right about a little going a long way!

    Rachael x
    All The Little Things x | Rachael McClenaghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salted caramel, these are really cute cookies :)x

    libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg these cookies look so delicious! Icing is the best part haha ;P

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Your cookies look absolutely delicious!
    I also love to make pastries in spare time.
    I've never heard of this company before,
    Thank you for introducing me to them
    I think I might just order from then now!!
    xoxo, Keep up the good work girly ♡

    Cristielle |Fairytale Princess ☾•*

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy :) I love chocolate icing the most :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute little package, love this idea!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute, these look yummy!!

    abistreetx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! you're blog is pretty sweet :) those are the cutest little biscuits i have ever seen!

    xx Jeremie | jerawrmie.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.