Sunday 18 May 2014

World Baking Day - Fruity Chocolate Coconut Cakes





Today is World Baking Day, one of my favourite days of the year! It was only right for me to publish a cake post today, it's actually been way too long since I've done one of these posts. I haven't really baked much over the last few months. Great for my waistline, I suppose! 

Sugar & Crumbs kindly sent me a couple of their fabulous products to aid with my baking. Now I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate cake, but I do love coconut, so I used the Sugar & Crumbs Chocolate Coconut Cocoa Powder* to make my sponges. I find that it's best to substitute just under a quarter of the flour for the cocoa powder. If you love chocolate though, go for a full quarter. Much to my delight, I also got my hands on the Sugar & Crumbs Coconut & Lime Flavoured Icing Sugar*. 

The taste test.... I actually LIKED the chocolate sponge! The coconut flavour definitely helped and it was so delicious. Coconut is such a fragrant scent that you can't really go wrong. The buttercream icing that I made was lovely too, I was a bit wary at first because the icing sugar smells totally like lime rather than coconut & lime but once it was mixed in with the butter, the scent of coconut drifted through. I made a large batch of cakes but I only iced half of them as I'm still in two minds about fruity buttercream icing and I also love the sponge on its own!

In fact, I'm going to grab one now along with a glass of apple juice to watch a DVD. Hope you're all having a lovely chilled-out Sunday afternoon. 

14 comments:

  1. Yum! These look delicious!

    Beccy // Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delish!! Lovely. <3

    http://bittercozitsbutter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR BLOG IS GORGEOUS! I have been doing some baking today aswell. You've really inspired me to show some of my recipes because your posts are so good. I have been baking chocolate truffles and meringues today ! Please check out my blog too, that would amazing, Thankyou, The Plaid Dress, Izzy Wells X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a lovely comment, Izzy. I'll definitely take a look at your blog :)

      Delete
  4. I love it! This looks like I just want to dive in and eat it all.
    xx
    http://sensitiveepidermis.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever you put food stuff on your blog, it ALWAYS looks yummy!!

    I like the idea of chocolate and coconut xx

    LauraThinksAbout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. They taste yummy too! :)

      Delete
  6. yummmmmm! Not what I need to be looking out when i'm eating healthy!
    www.styleandbeautyforless.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look and sound delicious! Chocolate and coconut is a great combination! I think I need to bake something today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww they look amazing! i wish I was better at baking xx

    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMmmm I love a bit of coconut in cakes!

    Had a client doing some things for Wold Baking Day, so got to look at recipes and cakes all last week - wasn't bad! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.