Sunday 22 June 2014

Healthy Breakfast Idea - Warm Mashed Banana & Boiled Egg On Bread

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I always like to make the most of mine. Nothing better than waking up in the morning and starting the day with something nutritious and delicious to kickstart your metabolism and boost your energy. Today I thought I'd share my favourite healthy breakfast with you. 


After experimenting with warm bananas on bread a few years ago, I then found myself with this delicious healthy breakfast: warm mashed bananas & boiled egg on bread. It's super simple and here's how you make it...


All you need is a slice of brown bread, a ripe banana, and an egg. You can use white bread too if you prefer but brown bread is always the healthier option out of the two.


The trickiest part of this breakfast (which isn't really that tricky) is boiling the egg so always do that first as it takes a while. Boil enough water in the kettle to just about cover the egg in a cooking pot and then put it on maximum heat over a stove. I prefer my egg to still be a little runny inside so I tend to boil mine for about 5-7 minutes but this can vary depending on your cooker. You can also poach your egg which is easier and quicker but I find that boiling it helps to retain more of the flavour (and more of the egg too!).


Whilst your egg is boiling, cut up your banana into slices and then pop it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to warm it up. This will bring out the sweetness and make it less dry. Using the back of a fork, mash it up. Of course, you can leave it as slices if you prefer. You can also pop your bread in the toaster at this point if you like. I tend to just leave it as it is if it's fresh bread.


Once you are satisfied that your egg is ready, scoop it out with a draining spoon and run it under cold water for 30 seconds so you don't burn yourself! I skipped out that step this time round and ended up with some slightly red fingers as you can see in the photo. So make sure you do it! Afterwards, tap the entire egg gently onto the side of a bowl or worktop surface until the shell looks completely cracked.


Gently peel off the egg shell whilst running it under cold water to help the shell come off more smoothly. Be careful not to break the egg though! Light fingers!


Slice it up into thin pieces. As I mentioned previously, I like my egg to be a little gooey on the inside so this is perfect. You don't want it to be too runny otherwise it'll all just ooze it when you cut the egg up. Of course, you can always leave the egg in there longer if you don't mind a hard boiled egg. 


Top the bread with your mashed banana as evenly as possible, or place the slices evenly on your bread/toast if you haven't mashed it up.


Put the egg slices on top et voila! There you have a nutritious healthy breakfast to kickstart your day! Very simple to make too!


Then all that's left to do is to tuck in! I usually team this breakfast with a glass of juice or milk to set me off for the day. 

What do you think of this breakfast?
Let me know if you end up making it, I'd love to see some photos.
You can tweet me: @IAmLinderella
I've also just launched a Facebook page: http://facebook.com/IAmLinderella

17 comments:

  1. Yummmm, that looks delicious and I bet its so full of flavour! xx

    Beauty Soup || UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of egg and banana together! x
    x
    LauraThinksAbout

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not think to put banana and egg together, but it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggs too - my favourite combo is poached eggs and avocado. Have you ever tried boiling your egg in the kettle? I sometimes do that in the mornings if I am running late and need a fast wholesome breakfast. They come out nice and runny too. Have a good day xx

    www.nasdiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would've never thought about putting these two together but they do look amazing I bet they'd be even better with some avacado xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an unusual combo! Would be interested to try it! X

    Hips Like Cinderella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe you have posted here. Thank you so much for sharing this post.
    Would you like to follow each other via GFC, Google+ & Bloglovin? Lemme know
    & keep in touch!


    X
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't have thought of putting banana with egg! Not sure if I'd be brave enough to give it a go.

    Katrina | thechatterfox.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This looks so good. Breakfast is my favorite meal and I always run out of breakfast ideas!

    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com
    Summer Blogger Freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey hunni I made it today. It was delish!! I also linked u in my #WIAW xoxo
    http://gemziclesprinkles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/what-i-ate-wednesday-25614.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually mash up the banana on bread, never though of having it with egg though! thanks for sharing and I can't wait to try it out! Keep up the great work, I love your blog x

    http://jennoshealth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a strange concept - banana and egg - whatttt?! haha

    Although, your pictures alone make me want to go and make this straight away, I should imagine it tastes delicious though :) Great breakfast idea

    Laura x | http://www.laurasallmadeup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks delicious! I would never have thought of this

    http://miss-jordanocean.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would never think to do this but it is such a good idea ! I eat both bananas and eggs practically everyday so it makes sense !!

    Thanks for the great idea !

    Xoxo
    Http://jessprainstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I read and saw this post,it looked very good,I tried it and I loved it,delicious,totally yummy! :)
    Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.