Wednesday 9 July 2014

Strawberries & Cream Cake



I'm trying hard to be healthy at the moment but that always goes straight out of the window when there's a birthday or special event. I can't deprive others of cake to suit my own needs now, can I? And since I've baked it, I may as well have a slice...

I normally like something a bit more decorative for birthdays but I was working on limited time so I opted for this strawberries & cream cake - simple but oh so good! Traditionally, the strawberries are sandwiched in the middle but I like how they look when they're placed on top of the cake.

I made the sponge using a standard Victoria sponge recipe. The top is slathered with delicious cream. I used a spoon to smooth it out a bit but it doesn't need to be perfect as the strawberries will be placed on top anyway. For me, I think that a nice thick layer of cream makes it delicious, even moreso when it's been in the fridge overnight. In the middle of the 2 sponges lies a yummy mix of strawberry jam and the leftover cream. Delicious!

This is an easy to make cake but the cream is where it can go wrong so easily. I don't like anything too sweet so it says a lot coming from me when I say that something isn't sweet enough. All too often I've tried cakes that look similar to this but the cream tastes so bland and perhaps a bit too fluffy. The cream is key to making this cake. Always purchase double cream and never use whipped cream from a can! Always whip it yourself using an electric whisk! I don't have a set amount of sugar that I put in, I normally add as I go along and taste to test because I tend to alter it depending on who I'm baking for but it's a good idea to measure it out so you have something to go on the next time round. Double cream is often quite bland so always add sugar of some sort unless your cream has been pre-sweetened. Not having any sugar in the cream is a big no-no for this cake!

Strawberries and cream go so well together and this is my go-to cake of choice when I don't have much time to whip up something more extravagant.

What I used

Sponge: 
170g self-raising flour
170g butter
150g caster sugar
1 tsp bsking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium-sized eggs

Filling & top:
125ml double cream
Sugar to taste 
Fresh strawberries
Strawberry jam

What do you think of this cake?
Let me know if you try it out yourself!

20 comments:

  1. Logged on blogger ten mins ago and seen three cakey related posts, safe to say I'm now craving cake. This looks delicious x

    Kate | A British Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love strawberries & cream, love baking cakes! xx

    http://nastyadts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Think I will have to try and bake it too :)

    www.aleelily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this looks so so delicious! I will have to try this out.

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum, yum!! The side of the cake looks soo good, looking at the layers! *w* and embarrassingly enough, I've never baked a cake alone.. ! I can't even bake cookies! Planning to get this record broken next year's summer, hahaha!X
    Chic Nikkie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strawberries and cream has to be THE cake of summer! Loving the outcome, you have such a talent! xo

    Sophie | soinspo <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favourite type of cake to have during the summer! Although it isn't the healthiest for me :( any chance this could be healthified? good post Linda, well done :D

    http://jennoshealth.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always substitute the double cream for cream cheese. And then swap the s.r flour for coconut flour. I'm definitely going to look into doing some healthy baking posts!

      Delete
  8. I love these types of cakes. You cannot go wrong with strawberries & cream <3
    Yummmy :)
    Sensitive Epidermis | Rainbow
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any cake post wins me over! This looks so good! xx

    www.roseandmuse.com
    www.roseandmusevintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is SO not ideal viewing for a hungry Friday afternoon!!! Looks absolutely divine xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this cake looks heavenly!! This is my favourite type of cake!

    Natasha Carly x
    www.prettylittlelives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks SO gorgeous, I will definitely be trying this out! Perfect summery cake :) xx

    A Blonde Moment

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks AMAZING!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win a cute Dahlia trench in my little giveaway! click here

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks SO tasty! I'm going to try this, this weekend!xx

    http://emilar.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks nice !
    I'm planning to write recipes like this you can check out my blog
    http://anniethecutie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda! May I know the exact amount of sugar did you used for the filling?
    I'm going to try making this! I love baking too ^___^

    ieyra h | babysoulz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually add as I go along so I can't remember the exact amount but I recommend between 2-4 tablespoons. If you're using the cream just for the filling then even 1 tablespoon might be enough.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.