Friday 17 October 2014

Waiting


I got to thinking the other day about how we spend a lot of our time waiting. We wait in the queue when we're shopping. We wait for the alarm to go off when we wake up an extra 5 minutes early but can't bring ourselves to get out of bed. We wait for the clock to strike 5 when we've had a tiring day at work. We wait at home for that postman to deliver the parcel because we don't want to miss it. We wait for people to turn up. We wait for people to pick up the phone. 

Waiting isn't always such a bad thing though. Imagine what life would be like if we never had to wait for anything. There would be no pauses. There would be no anticipation. Life would be fast forwarded and we wouldn't appreciate things as much if we never had to wait for them.

I like to wait for cakes to bake in the oven as I love watching them rise. I like to wait for the next train to arrive when I'm doing several train changes because I don't have to rush and I can do a bit of window shopping. I like to wait for the next episode of my favourite TV series because it builds up anticipation and, quite frankly, I wouldn't have the time to catch up with it if it was on back to back. In fact, sometimes I wish I could just press the pause button on life whilst I gather my thoughts (and my belongings) before continuing on with the next thing. 

Don't ever sit around waiting for something that might never happen, don't wait to say something tomorrow when you can say it today, and don't wait around for someone who doesn't want to turn up. But there a lot of things in life that are worth waiting for.

13 comments:

  1. I really liked this post, it was so different! I've never really put much thought in to this before but now that I have, I realise how true it is! It also makes me think of how much time people spend waiting on me as I am never ready on time...

    Holly - holly la beau

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post to read, really makes you think!! Also that watch is beautifullllll xx

    Abi | abistreetx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful! I do feel that I've spent most of my life waiting and now I'm in the bit I was waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post came at the perfect time we should so try find the good in every present!

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often think about all the time we spend waiting, too. But I agree, it's not always a bad thing. My favorite time spent waiting would be just before midnight at New Years, the last seconds before leaving school on Friday or waiting for a parcel to arrive :) But there are sooo many more!

    dominosdiary.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written piece. I often think about all the time i spend waiting and what i could do that would be perhaps more productive!

    http://realisings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post is great, too true things don't just come to you , you have to get out there and get them. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make a really good point, I've never really though about how much we wait around before. Waiting is definitely good and bad, just depends on what you're waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that watch! I actually have one that looks like it.
    www.lameliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your beautiful words are so inspiring, that's something I really needed to hear today! I wish I could press pause and catch up with all the work and reading I have to do!

    Jessica Anna

    A So Called Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. "we wouldn't appreciate things as much if we never had to wait for them." I think that's so true, but at the same time I think it's not just about waiting but to make the time while you wait as fulfilled as possible.. Like when you wait for cakes to rise in the oven you can clear the kitchen and make the icing.. but sometimes it is nice just to sit and watch them rise haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such an inspirational post!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. my rayban giveaway ends soon! click here if you like

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so true!! I never really thought that waiting could be good or bad

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.